These are currently the 2 common categories of professional oral appliances:
MRD – Mandibular Repositioning Device
- A more commonly prescribed appliance.
- It repositions and stabilizes the lower jaw, tongue, soft palate, and uvula.
- It increases the muscle tone of the tongue
TRD – Tongue Retaining Device
- This device advances the tongue and actively holds the tongue forward to open airway and preventing it from falling backward and blocking the airway.
- These devices are most useful in patients with large tongues, Poor dental health, no teeth, and chronic joint pain.